Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Hardcore Punk Updated Draft

Updated Draft

This is an updated version of my original draft. The main change for this draft is that the original bridge section in the track has been replaced as I felt it did not fit with the rest of the song. I also wanted to add a solo to the track, and I felt that it would fit appropriately at a minute and a half into the track, where the bridge is, though the original bridge riff had a strange rhythm, making it difficult to solo over. For this reason I changed the bridge riff to a simple two chord power chord riff as I felt this would create a very driving and powerful sound that would be simpler to solo over the top of. The new bridge is also twice as long as the old bridge in order for the solo to be longer and more notable.






The other major change to the track was the mix. Previously, I had done very little to improve the track via the mix due to the fact that early hardcore punk tracks had very basic mixes, usually consisting of simply just a balance. However going forward I felt that it was more important for each element of track to be heard with clarity than to purposefully give the track a very rudimentary mix in order to keep it true to the genre. In order to achieve this, I added a E.Q to every channel and added a HPF up to 60db in order to remove any low end that may make the mix sound muddy as well as a LPF to prevent any high frequencies that may make the guitars sound fizzy and fragile. I also added compression to every channel except for bass in order to separate each piece of instrumentation slightly so they are audible as their own element of the track.

The final update I did was to do a small amount of mastering with a compressor over the stereo out channel in order to make the track slightly louder whilst bringing each element of the track closer together in order to create a tighter and intensive sound. I also used a limiter in order to boost the track slightly with the gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review and Reflection

Review and Reflection The main goal of this project was to sequence a track a Logic that is representative of the genre hardcore punk....